- Unlimited entry
- Kids register for FREE
- Help fight extinction
Working at Zoos Victoria
At Zoos Victoria, we encourage our staff to continually explore their potential. In return, we provide all the tools and support they need to manage their own personal and professional development.
We want people who share our vision, mission, values and capabilities.
To obtain a job at Zoos Victoria, we recommend that applicants have completed a minimum of VCE or have undertaken a relevant course in their field of employment. Relevant experience is also considered beneficial.
Zoos Victoria offers a variety of skilled, semi-skilled and management jobs to meet the day-to-day operations of our three properties. Our departments include:
- Animal Husbandry
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Experiences and Learning
- Grounds and Services
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Marketing and Communications
- Projects and Planning
- Visitor Experience
- Wildlife Conservation and Science
We advertise our vacancies on our website and other sources, such as job search websites, newspapers and other websites relevant to the position field.
Our visitor experience positions are usually advertised between July and October, leading up to our peak period from November to March.
Applications are processed according to the positions being advertised. We are unable to store applications for prospective vacancies.
The main selection methods we use are panel interviews and assessment centres.
Assessment centres are group interviews that usually take up most of a day. They include a number of different activities that relate directly to the vacant position and can include a brief interview at the end of the day.
Assessment centres are implemented for any role that involves visitor interaction. Some of the roles we may use this recruitment method for include zookeeper, education officer, horticulturist, grounds presentation staff, retail sales assistant or visitor experience officer.
Benefits that may be available to Zoos Victoria employees include:
- Zoos amazing cross-campus tours
- In-situ conservation opportunities
- Opportunities to participate in Zoos and Aquariums Association forums and other technical conferences
- Employee Assistance Program
- Manager Assist
- Discount on food and beverage items from all outlets at Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary
- Discounts at Zoos Victoria’s retail facilities
- Discount for employees’ children wishing to participate in the Zoo Adventures School Holiday Programs
- Visitor Experiences discount at Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo
- Friends of the Zoo membership at a discounted price
- Free entry to all Zoos Victoria properties on presentation of appropriate employee ID badge. This is for employees and their immediate family members only
- Salary sacrificing and salary packaging
- Career paths: technical, specialist and generalist
- Zoo Employee Performance Plan Program