- Unlimited entry
- Kids register for FREE
- Help fight extinction
Zoos Victoria’s objectives are concentrated in our five action areas: conservation, animals, visitors, people and financial sustainability.
Achieving these objectives will help us become the world’s leading zoo-based conservation organisation within the next 20 years.
Our conservation objectives
- To have a robust portfolio of direct conservation programs that:
- Achieve habitat protection and/or threatened species recovery in the wild
- Reflect our state, national, Australasian and international (South-east Asia, Papua New Guinea and Sub-Saharan Africa) priorities
- Are underpinned by strong science
- Are both recognised and valued by our stakeholders and partners
- To run successful call-to-action environmental campaigns and programs that are linked to our priority conservation programs and/or those of our partners.
- To ensure staff and Friends of the Zoos volunteers are knowledgeable, supportive, actively engaged and advocates of our conservation programs.
- To be recognised as a leader in environmental sustainability.
- To position Zoos Victoria as a leading authority and knowledge centre for the conservation of species and habitat in our chosen programs and targeted regions of Australia, Papua New Guinea, South-east Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Our animal objectives
- To have a sustainable, managed collection that supports our conservation framework.
- To deliver world’s best practice in animal husbandry.
- To build a strong alignment between the visitor experience and life sciences areas of the organisation, so that conservation and visitor experience are strongly linked to collection planning, the operations and to the skills and expertise of the respective staff.
- To position Zoos Victoria as a respected authority on the welfare and wellbeing of wildlife.
Our visitor objectives
- To offer superior and inspiring animal based experiences that connect people with wildlife and conservation action and to use the unique habitats and landscapes in our care to inspire environmental action.
- To offer every visitor a layered, meaningful, and fun learning experience using a variety of interpretive approaches to engage all our various audiences.
- To ensure visitors experience memorable moments and have opportunities to actively participate in conservation action.
- To enable our staff and volunteers to actively facilitate the delivery of engaging experiences for visitors.
- To measure and demonstrate our visitors' contribution in delivering conservation and sustainability outcomes.
Our people objectives
- To ensure our vision and values are fully embraced and demonstrated by our staff, stakeholders and partners.
- To align our work processes with our vision and mission.
- To enable our staff to demonstrate a high level of capability and wellbeing as a result of the right investment in their professional and personal development.
- For our staff to be recognised as a team of high performers by the industry, the conservation community and broader community.
- To ensure that every staff member has a relevant job description that will communicate exactly what their role is and what they are accountable for.
Our financial sustainability objectives
- To maximise revenue and control expenditure while driving financial accountability in all areas of our business.
- To ensure the integrity and viability of our assets in the short and long term.
- To have innovative commercial products that are aligned to our core business and that will provide new income streams of substantial recurrent funding.
- To embed a continuous Business Process Improvement culture to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in every element of our operations.
- To have a successful Foundation that delivers a significant contribution to the organisation to enable investment in conservation work and capital development.
- To have an extensive and transparent legal compliance and risk management framework.