- Unlimited entry
- Kids register for FREE
- Help fight extinction
- Visit our zoos
- What's on
- Fighting extinction
- Get involved
Planning your school visit
Browse through our programs to find one that suits you.
For an educator led session the minimum group size is 12. If you have a smaller group booking, you may pay for
12 students or contact a neighbouring school and organise a joint excursion.
If you have booked in for a discovery session a zoo educator will call you before your visit to confirm details and to answer any queries you may have.
Please note your session time cannot be altered on the day.
All prices are in Australian dollars (valid from 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2013).
|School admission||Admission and discovery centre session|
|Early childhood 45 mins||$12.90*||$15.70|
|Early childhood 90 mins||$12.90*||$17.70|
|Primary and secondary 45 mins||$12.90*||$15.70|
|Primary and secondary 90 mins||$12.90*||$17.70|
|VCE 45 mins||$12.90||$15.70|
|VCE 90 mins||$12.90||$17.70|
|Tertiary 90 mins||$20.20||$25.00|
|Special needs school students||$6.00||$8.00|
*Children under 16 years of age years now receive free admission to Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo on weekends, Victorian public holidays and Victorian Government school holidays.
- School bookings for Discovery Centre sessions will be charged at the Victorian School term rates as listed in the table above
- Adults in excess of this ratio pay the concession entrance charge of $20.20
- Zoo memberships not valid for school visits
If you wish to be invoiced, please provide a purchase order from your organisation. Zoos Victoria ABN number is 969-139-590-53.
Alternatively, payment may be made by credit card or cash in one transaction on admission.
Adult to student ratio
|Carers (of physically or intellectually disabled persons)||1 per person|
|Early childhood||1 for every 3 paying students|
|Prep to grade 2||1 for every 5 paying students|
|All others||1 for every 10 paying students|
Cancellation of discovery sessions must be made at least 5 days prior to the visit otherwise a cancellation fee of $200 will be invoiced to the school. The cancellation fee will be waived in the event of inclement weather or if the booking is rescheduled to another date.
English as a second language
You don’t need to speak English to experience the excitement of meeting Australian animals
Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary offer learning assistance for students who have English as a second language (ESL). Learn about our wildlife and broaden your respect for nature while taking some photos and practice speaking the Aussie lingo.
Werribee Open Range Zoo now offers a free downloadable mobile app for students who are deaf and hearing impaired. Called OpenMi it provides engaging learning content delivered in Auslan and captions via QR codes around the zoo. Find out more
Storage and pavillions
Several options are available at our three properties. Please enquire when booking your visit.
Group leaders will receive a map at the gate. View or download:
- Werribee Open Range Zoo map
Melbourne Zoo map
Download an additional student meeting points map.
- Healesville Sanctuary map
Meet the Keeper
Make the most of your day by checking out your favourite keeper presentations:
- Werribee Open Range Zoo Keeper Presentations
- Melbourne Zoo Keeper Presentations
- Healesville Sanctuary Keeper Presentations
Please remind your students that other people are there for an enjoyable day out and following the basic supervision guidelines will ensure a great day for everybody:
- Students remain the responsibility of the teacher at all times
- It is important that students move through respectfully and consider animals and other members of the public.
- Ensure students understand the needs of the animals and behave accordingly - loud noises and sudden movements can upset the animals
- Ball games and whistles are not permitted on our properties.
Read more in the terms and conditions of entry to our zoos.
Risk management policies
Booking and payment
The costs and booking details are listed with each program.
To book you will need to know:
- school address
- phone and fax number
- email address
- time of arrival and departure
- contact name of teacher
- number of students/classes and their year level
For further information call: