A new perspective on learning is coming...
From 2015 we’re enhancing the educational opportunities our zoos provide all Victorian schools, helping students and their teachers explore the zoo like they never have before, getting the chance to develop connections with the world’s wildlife and to feel inspired to care and protect them.
The revitalised journey combines the incredible setting of our zoos with inquiry-based learning elements and access to some of the world’s leading industry experts, giving students across all levels the opportunity to take away strengthened curriculum outcomes for VEYLDF, AusVELS and VCE Study Designs.
The exciting new learning experience will also provide the opportunity to create a zoo-based education community of Victorian schools, students and teachers beginning before students visit our zoos and continuing long after they have left.
Our school programs provide opportunities for students to connect with our animals, build their understandings, and be empowered to take action to help save wildlife. Our 21st century programs are cross-curricular and link strongly to outcomes from VEYLDF, VELS, AusVELS and VCE Study Designs.
Browse through our programs to find one that suits you.
English as a second language
You don’t need to speak English to experience the excitement of meeting Australian animals
Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary offer learning assistance for students who have English as a second language (ESL). Learn about our wildlife and broaden your respect for nature while taking some photos and practice speaking the Aussie lingo.
Werribee Open Range Zoo now offers a free downloadable mobile app for students who are deaf and hearing impaired. Called OpenMi it provides engaging learning content delivered in Auslan and captions via QR codes around the zoo. Find out more
Storage and pavillions
Several options are available at our three properties. Please enquire when booking your visit.
Group leaders will receive a map at the gate. View or download:
- Werribee Open Range Zoo map
Melbourne Zoo map
Download an additional student meeting points map.
- Healesville Sanctuary map
Meet the Keeper
Make the most of your day by checking out your favourite keeper presentations:
- Werribee Open Range Zoo Keeper Presentations
- Melbourne Zoo Keeper Presentations
- Healesville Sanctuary Keeper Presentations
- Suggested Itineraries for school excursions to Healesville Sanctuary
Please remind your students that other people are there for an enjoyable day out and following the basic supervision guidelines will ensure a great day for everybody:
- Students remain the responsibility of the teacher at all times
- It is important that students move through respectfully and consider animals and other members of the public.
- Ensure students understand the needs of the animals and behave accordingly - loud noises and sudden movements can upset the animals
- Ball games and whistles are not permitted on our properties.
Read more in the terms and conditions of entry to our zoos.