- Unlimited entry
- Kids register for FREE
- Help fight extinction
- Visit our zoos
- What's on
- Fighting extinction
- Get involved
- About us
Take the Fighting extinction challenge: collaborate and take action
Teachers and students work together to investigate conservation issues, propose solutions, and take meaningful action.
Students should prepare for their research. The big idea, essential question, the challenge and guiding questions are the pre-visit materials that need to be considered and discussed before visiting Werribee Open Range Zoo.
Big idea: Sustainability: wildlife conservation
Essential question: Do zoos and sanctuaries help animals in the wild?
The challenge: Develop your own idea to help wildlife in your home, school or community.
- Should animals be kept in captive environments?
- Does a visit to Werribee Open Range Zoo help animals in the wild?
- Are you impacting wildlife in your everyday lifestyle?
Werribee Open Range Zoo activities
- Investigate an animal at Werribee Open Range Zoo that is threatened and the action you can take to fight its extinction.
- Keeper talks are a great way to learn firsthand about the challenges our wildlife faces from the people who dedicate their lives to animal protection
- Explore the Pula Reserve Walking Trail
- Take the Australian Grassland Journey
- Safari tour
- Create your own community conservation campaign to help save wildlife.
- Visit Actwild.org.au for some ideas and inspiration, then share what you have done with us at email@example.com and we'll put it up on Wild Activists.
- ActWild: www.actwild.org.au
- Find out about Zoos Victoria's Conservation Projects
- Find out more about Challenge based Learning
The Fighting Extinction Challenge addresses AusVELS levels 5-8 standards. It supports the cross-curriculum priorities of Sustainability and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures and addresses achievements in the domains of Science, Interpersonal Development, Personal Learning, Civics and Citizenship, English, Humanities, Communication and Thinking Processes.
This program takes place at...
- Healesville Sanctuary
- Werribee Open Range Zoo
- Melbourne Zoo