Certificate III in Captive Animals
Please note: Zoos Victoria no longer offers tertiary placements within our Life Sciences departments. These placements are now filled by students undertaking the Certificate III in Captive Animals delivered by Taronga Training Institute held at Zoos Victoria. Please read on for information regarding this Certificate.
ACM30310 Certificate III in Captive Animals
Taronga Training Institute currently deliver the Certificate III in Captive Animals at Zoos Victoria.
Enrolments for 2019 course have closed. Applications for the 2020 course will open mid 2019, please visit the Taronga Training Institute Information for more information - Taronga Certificate III Captive Animals.
Box Hill Institute also deliver the Certificate III in Captive Animals, please refer to their website for more information about the course.
The Certificate III in Captive Animals is the pathway to become a trade qualified Zoo Keeper. At Zoos Victoria it is not a requirement to have this qualification to commence your career as a Zoo Keeper, however it would be beneficial. Find out more about becoming a Zoo Keeper at Zoos Victoria.
What is the course about?
The course delivered through Taronga Training Institute will further develop your knowledge in animal husbandry through a combination of regular theory lessons and practical experience at either Melbourne Zoo or Werribee Open Range Zoo.
Graduates of the Certificate III in Captive Animals can seek employment as a Zoo Keeper, or animal handler in aquariums and other wildlife parks.
Duration: Full-time over one year.
Course location: Classroom sessions are conducted at Melbourne Zoo and practical placements will be made available at Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo.
Course Entry Requirements:
- Students must attend all practical days as allocated
- Students are expected to attend all classroom lessons
- Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age on commencement of the course
- Students must be an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen
- Students must hold the Certificate II in Animal Studies or have a minimum of 12 months demonstrated experience working with animals, prior to commencing in the Certificate III in Captive Animals
- Students should have a reasonable level of health and fitness in order to fully participate in the course
- Students should demonstrate adequate written and verbal skills as well as basic numeracy skills.
Please note: Enrolments for 2019 course have closed. Applications for the 2020 course will open mid 2019, please visit the Taronga Training Institute Information for more information - Taronga Certificate III Captive Animals.