Promoting evidence-based management to support animals thriving.
To be leaders in our field, animal welfare is paramount at Zoos Victoria. High standards of welfare are important for animals and enable or support an enjoyable and memorable visitor experience through opportunities to see positive animal behaviours. If your profession is devoted to animal care, this masterclass gives you the skills to create robust animal welfare foundations, understand ways how animal care programs affect animal welfare, and implement strategies for continuous improvement in animal welfare.
This masterclass involves three 4.5-hour webinars, consisting of presentations and interactive breakout rooms. Attendees will have the opportunity throughout the masterclass to interact with the ZV Specialists and ask questions.
Session 1: Welfare Foundations
At this keystone session you will gain an appreciation of the need to consider science and community values to develop robust animal welfare foundations.
- Gain foundational knowledge in animal welfare science and discover the core elements of animal welfare
- Explore topical case studies to understand what is a social licence and how your actions can impact it
- Learn how to create engaging & proactive discussions with the community
Session 2: Welfare Assessment (theory)
Gain an insight into the foundations of welfare assessment before deep diving into welfare assessment science and methodology.
- Explore the Five Domains Model and other tools to frame assessment of animal welfare
- Hear first-hand accounts from Zoos Victoria staff who have used the tool and ensure the continuous improvement of animal welfare
Session 3: Welfare Assessment (applied)
Use a real-world risk assessment tool to assess animal welfare and develop confidence using and implementing a risk assessment tool.
- Learn how to plan for and strive for continuous improvement in welfare assessment
- Investigate case studies of animal welfare interventions at Zoos Victoria
- Access to Zoos Victoria specialists
- Virtual access to real Zoos Victoria case studies and insights
- Recommended reading list
- Certificate of completion (2/3 workshop attendance required)
Who should attend
This masterclass is designed for animal care professionals working within zoos & aquariums, animal shelters, and in animal training.
The sessions commence at 8am Central European Time and finish at 12.30pm on each day, with a 20 minute break. Please join the call 15 minutes prior to each session so we can begin promptly. Break and finish times are approximate.
The webinars are live and will not be available on-delay.
About the facilitator
DR HANNAH LARSEN
Animal Welfare Specialist, Wildlife Conservation & Science, Zoos Victoria
Hannah started her career in animal welfare as a kennel attendant while studying her undergraduate degree in Zoology/Ecology at the University of Queensland. After obtaining her BSc, Hannah went on to study Conservation Biology for her honours degree in New Zealand. Whilst working in a Wellington medical research laboratory her passion for animal welfare science developed.
In 2013, Hannah moved to Melbourne to pursue a PhD at the Animal Welfare Science Centre, researching the welfare of free-range laying hens in commercial egg farms. Hannah has worked as Animal Welfare Officer at Deakin University, advising both researchers and the animal ethics committee on all matters relating to safeguarding animal welfare and compliance.
She joined the Zoos Victoria team in 2018 as the Animal Welfare Specialist and consults the life sciences teams on animal welfare matters, developing and implementing animal welfare research programs to support evidence-based management, and assessing risks to animal welfare through annual and ad hoc welfare assessment processes.
"Thank you so much, this was a fantastic workshop, really great content, tech worked perfectly, videos were fantastic. Incredible opportunity to learn from the experts!"
Seeing Eye Dogs Australia
For more information on this masterclass contact firstname.lastname@example.org