Enter the STEM Design Challenge
Enter your prototype designs in the STEM Design Challenge competition.
What to know before entering
The STEM Design Challenge competition is open to any student who has participated in a STEM excursion at Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo or Werribee Open Range Zoo:
- Teams of up to six students work together to solve one of the set STEM challenges
- There are four competition categories: Year 3-4, Year 5-6, Year 7-8 and Year 9-10
- Teams submit a short video of two minutes or less that explains their learning and their prototype.
- Your STEM Teaching Guide includes the judging criteria - you will receive this Guide when you book your excursion.
We understand the sensitivities surrounding the sharing videos featuring students. Your video will only be viewed by the competition judges. Should we wish to share your students' video with Zoos Victoria's community, we will send you a media permission form.
This competition has Terms and Conditions.
Your students' videos will be shared with relevant Zoos Victoria staff - their work will not go unrecognised. All teams who enter will receive a thank you.
The student team awarded the most points:
- In their year level - will receive a certificate and a special prize pack in the mail
- In the whole competition - will receive a special prize pack in the mail as well as a video conference call or face-to-face meeting with a relevant Zoo staff member in order to present and get feedback on their prototype
- Entries close Friday 19 June
- Judging occurs 22-26 June
- Winners announced Monday 29 June
- Entries close Friday 20 November
- Judging occurs 23-27 November
- Winners announced Monday 30 November
How to enter
Complete your competition entry form and upload your videos via Zoos Victoria's Google Drive.