Aussie Animal Adventurers
Our Aussie Animal Adventurers get a chance to meet our Aussie icons up close and learn more about the unique animals who call this continent home.
Play in nature, explore using your senses and hear animal stories as you meet Australian animals close up and learn about the world around you.
Aussie Animal Adventurers gives children the chance to meet the animals that make this land unique, learn about Aboriginal culture and discover how to become a hero and care for wildlife.
Explore Healesville Sanctuary in small groups, experiencing close up animal encounters and enjoy feature shows and keeper talks.
Children will learn:
- About the unique features and habitats of Australian animals
- To appreciate and care for animals and the environment
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture
- How to explore the natural environment using their senses
Use the activities in the Teaching Guide (below) to spark children's curiosity before their zoo visit.
Connect and Understand
During the day, children will learn about different kinds of animals, their body coverings, features, habitats and life cycles. Children will have the chance to ask questions linked to curriculum priorities.
Your zoo visit will include: Introduction (for arrivals between 9:50am-10:10am), Healesville Sanctuary Teacher-led activities, Spirits of the Sky presentation and keeper talks. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the zoo.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen children's learning back at school.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable children to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Program maps and itineraries
Digital maps will be provided to you on the day.
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF)
- Students have the opportunity to connect with animals, nature and Aboriginal culture to learn ways to care for the world around them and contribute to a sustainable future
- Students will engage in nature play and practice their social skills as they explore a unique bushland setting
- Students will use their senses and imagination as they enjoy up close animal encounters, nature play and dress up as future vets
Plan your excursion
Aussie Animal Adventurers is an outdoor all-weather program; the children will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
School groups will enter Healesville Sanctuary via the Main Entrance. Organising teachers please check in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More information.
All onsite excursion bookings are subject to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions and as such are subject to change in line with the Victorian Chief Health Officer’s advice. We will be in contact with all teachers prior to their booked date if we need to clarify any new requirements.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level