Zoo Careers and Safety
A unique experience for students to develop their practical knowledge and understanding of the skills required to work in a zoo related context. This program enables students to explore and consider a diversity of career opportunities within zoos.
In this program Zoo Careers and Safety, students experience an insight into the skills required to complete a complex work-related activity similar to those used to select successful candidates for Zoo Keeper roles.
Students will learn:
- To take part in an authentic work-related activity similar to those used to select Zoo Keepers
- How to enhance their development of employability skills through work-related contexts
- About animal welfare and work safety awareness
- To collect and interpret information about a number of Zoos Victoria’s community conservation campaigns
- About Zoos Victoria’s mission to fight extinction and how they can contribute
Use the activities in the teaching guide (below) to spark students’ curiosity before their zoo visit.
Connect and Understand
Immersed within habitat and wildlife of Werribee Open Range Zoo, students will learn the considerations needed to meet high standards of animal welfare and work safely within a zoo environment. During a Zoo Teacher workshop, students will have the opportunity to collect and interpret information about Zoos Victoria’s community conservation campaigns.
Your zoo visit will include: Introduction (for arrivals between 9:45am – 10:00am), Zoo Teacher workshop (30 minutes), Safari Bus Tour (40 minutes) and keeper talks. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the zoo.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen students’ learning back at school.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable students to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Program maps and itineraries
Your booking confirmation email will list your group's education workshop/s and safari bus tour time. Each workshop time has its own map and daily itinerary. Paper maps will be provided to you on the day.
Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
Foundation Unit 1:
Learning Outcome 2.0 – Identify and apply basic OHS procedures in a selected workplace.
- Students will participate in an activity involving basic hazard and risk analysis and identify and describe appropriate hazard control measures.
Foundation Unit 2:
Learning Outcome 4.0 – Work in a team to complete a simple work-related activity
- Students will work collaboratively to carry out a work-related activity similar to those used to select successful zoo keeping candidates.
Intermediate Unit 2:
Learning Outcome 4.0 – Work cohesively in a team to complete a complex work-related activity or project.
Foundation Unit 2:
Learning Outcome 3.2 – Collect and interpret information about a simple environmental, cultural or social activity within a community
- Students will have the opportunity to collect and interpret information about a number of Zoos Victoria’s community conservation campaigns.
Plan your excursion
Zoo Careers and Safety is an outdoor all-weather program; the students will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
Bring what students need to record their research e.g. notes, drawings, photographs, videos, voice memos, diagrams.
School groups will enter Werribee Open Range Zoo via the Main Entrance. Organising teachers please check in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More information.
All onsite excursion bookings are subject to Coronavirus (COVID19) restrictions and as such are subject to change in line with the Victorian Chief Medical Officer’s advice. We will be in contact with all teachers prior to their booked date to clarify any new requirements.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level