Nature Play the Wurundjeri Way
Engage your senses in nature! Explore Aboriginal culture and learn about Australian wildlife through play and discovery in our Sanctuary.
In Nature Play the Wurundjeri Way, students are immersed in the natural world, where they are encouraged to play, explore and discover. Students will engage their senses as they explore, navigate and negotiate outdoor play spaces. They will have opportunities to interact with Aboriginal artefacts, listen to dreaming stories, create art and learn about native wildlife and plants and the Wurundjeri connections to them. Through guided discussions and exploration students will learn about how plants, animals and people are all connected. They will discover what makes this land unique and how to care for the environment – just as the Wurundjeri people do.
Students will learn:
- About the unique features, habitats and needs of animals
- Aboriginal culture and connections to the environment
- To appreciate, respect and care for living and non-living things
Session with Healesville Sanctuary teacher where students will:
|12pm: Spirits of the Sky show||25 minutes|
|Outside of your session time: Explore the Sanctuary and attend educational keeper talks||Approx. 3 hours|
- Students will use self-directed play based learning to explore Indigenous culture, discover animals and their habitats and develop their respect and love for the natural environment
- Students will be supported to work collaboratively in safe, outdoor, natural play spaces and make new discoveries about the interconnectedness of the land, plants, animals and Wurundjeri culture
- Students will use their senses to connect with living and non-living things in the natural environment and explore how the Wurundjeri people used different tools, techniques and shared dreaming stories
Plan your excursion
Nature Play the Wurundjeri Way is an outdoor all-weather program; the students will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions.
The organising teacher should make themselves known to Admission Staff via the Members Express Lane to arrange payment. More information