Nature’s Calling on all the senses to explore, play and learn about wildlife and the natural environment. What will you discover?
Being surrounded by nature inspires a sense of wonder, intrigue and curiosity in young children.
In Nature’s Calling, children will feel safe, secure and supported to explore the natural environment of the zoo. They’ll meet unique animals along the way and follow their curiosity by navigating the walking trails and play equipment of the zoo.
With keeper talks, a guided safari tour and a unique education workshop, there is plenty to keep the children intrigued and entertained.
This full-day, play-based experience is a unique and immersive learning experience, drawing on your children’s natural instincts to explore the world around them.
Children will learn:
- To appreciate and care for the natural environment.
- To explore using all of their senses in unfamiliar and unique terrain
- About a range of different animals and habitats
Welcome and introduction to your day (arrivals between 9.50 - 10.05am)
|Session with Werribee Open Range Zoo teacher||30 minutes|
|Safari bus tour||30 minutes|
|Self-guided walking trails and options to join educational keeper talks||1 – 4 hours|
Outcome 1: Children have a strong sense of identity
- Children feel safe, secure and supported to confidently explore and engage with their peers, educators and zoo teachers in a new environment through relationships and play
Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
- Children are immersed in a habitat where they can explore and play to develop their respect for living and non-living things to develop their understanding of the interdependence between land, plants and animals
Outcome 3: Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- Children will have the opportunity to explore a new environment participating in physical play and negotiating play spaces to ensure the safety and wellbeing of themselves and others
Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners
- Children are immersed in a carefully planned environment designed as The Third Teacher with provocations to stimulate curiosity, wonder, imagination and questioning and allow for intentional teaching practice
Outcome 5: Children are effective communicators
- A carefully planned natural environment provides children with abundant opportunities for sensory exploration that naturally encourages children to respond verbally and non-verbally to what they see, hear, touch and feel
Plan your excursion
Nature’s Calling is an outdoor all-weather program; children will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
The organising teacher should make themselves known to Admission Staff prior to entering the Zoo so that payment can be made. More information