- Visit our zoos
- What's on
- Fighting extinction
- Get involved
- About us
Education at Healesville Sanctuary
About Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary is the place to see and interact with native Australian wildlife in a stunning bushland setting. Our education programs make the curriculum come alive! Expert educators will help your children and students connect with wildlife, build their understanding of real-life issues and become active citizens. We also specialise in education about the culture of the traditional owners of the land, the Wurundjeri people.
Our excursion programs are included with your admission price at no extra cost. Book your program now
Before you visit
- Watch the video above with your children or students. You can also download it by visiting Vimeo
- Use our Teaching Resources to give your curriculum a boost
- Visit the Student Hub to do any research and find out more about the animals at Healesville Sanctuary
When you arrive
Ask the organising teacher to go to the Admissions area to sign in and arrangement payment. Use the Members Express Lane for quick service.
Lockers are available. Ensure all food is secured in bags or lunchboxes (or our native wildlife may decide to help themselves). Please take your valuables with you..
Check out our online map for mobile devices. You can also collect a printed map. Staff and volunteers are also there to help you find your way around the Sanctuary.
Keeper Talks and Daily Presentations
Boost your experience with Healesville Sanctuary keeper talks and presentations. They happen throughout the day; we especially recommend you see the Tales of Platypus Creek and/or Spirits of the Sky. See what’s on
To ensure that all students have an enjoyable experience at Healesville Sanctuary, the following Social Script and Sensory Map have been created to help prepare students for their visit.
Download Sensory Map
Download Social Script - Excursion to Healesville Sanctuary
When booking a visit to Healesville Sanctuary, our terms and conditions of entry apply. Please consider the following guidelines:
- Children and students remain the responsibility of the teacher at all times
- Groups are asked to move through the Sanctuary respectfully and consider animals and members of the public
- Students and adult helpers should understand the needs of the animals and behave accordingly – loud noises and sudden movements can upset the animals. For this reason, ball games and whistles are not permitted
- At the Sanctuary Shop, six students may enter at a time with a supervising teacher. Please leave student bags outside
We can’t wait to see you at Healesville Sanctuary. Call us anytime between 9am-5pm on (03) 9340 2788.
Book an education program
We will need the following to book your excursion:
- Education program of your choice
- Preferred excursion date
- School name and address
- Name, phone number and email of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level
Designed to address a range of curriculum outcomes, our education programs guide young people through an integrated learning experience.