- Visit our zoos
- Whats on
- Fighting extinction
- Get involved
- About us
Fighting Extinction Challenge
A powerful, active learning experience that inspires students to collaborate and take action!
The Fighting Extinction Challenge delivers a unique, student-centred learning experience. Suitable for entire year levels or multiple classes, this full day program uses a hands-on approach in which students are truly immersed in the learning environment - the Sanctuary itself.
The program commences with an inspiration session in our platypus arena on the work Zoos Victoria is doing to save endangered Australian animals. Students are then challenged to come up with their own actions to fight extinction. Taking charge of their own learning, they explore the Sanctuary independently in small groups using their own mobile learning devices (eg, iPads or smart phones) to record their ideas and inspiration. This activity encourages deep critical thinking, stimulates creative thinking and supports the development of wider connections in learning. Students have a variety of presentations, shows and workshops they can attend and a professional development workshop is also available for teachers.
Students choose from the following options to support their learning:
- Educator-led workshop
- Fighting Extinction Headquarters and Lunar's Secret Forest
- Spirits of the Sky free-flight bird show at 12.00pm
- Keeper talks are a great way to learn firsthand about the challenges our wildlife faces from the people who dedicate their lives to animal protection.
At the end of the day students gather back in the arena to share their ideas. They can then roll out their own conservation campaign back at school or in their communities.
- Download FEC Teacher Notes below
- Find out about Zoos Victoria's Conservation Projects
- Find out more about Challenge based Learning
- Create your own community conservation campaign to help save wildlife
- Visit Actwild.org.au for further ideas and inspiration, then share your actions with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll put it up on Wild Activists.
The Fighting Extinction Challenge addresses AusVELS levels 5-10 standards. It supports the cross-curriculum priorities of Sustainability and addresses achievements in the domains of Science, Interpersonal Development, Personal Learning, Civics and Citizenship, English, Humanities, Communication and Thinking Processes.
- Werribee Open Range Zoo
- Healesville Sanctuary
- Melbourne Zoo