Indigenous Culture and Sustainability (Year 3 – 6)
Teacher professional development
Respected Wurundjeri Ngurangaeta (head-person), Murrundindi, will guide you through a full-day professional development experience where you will learn about ceremony, dreaming stories, significant plants and animals, Kulin seasons, caring for country and how to create learning environments that celebrate and respect Aboriginal histories and customs.
Enjoy hand-on activities you can take back to school such as fire making, Marngrook, bracelet weaving, making your own soap and explore Wurundjeri symbols and connections to plants and wildlife while surrounded by the rich indigenous heritage of Healesville Sanctuary.
On the day you will:
- Participate in a traditional Welcome to Country ceremony and learn about cultural protocols with Wurundjeri Ngurangaeta (head-person) Murrundindi
- Discover the Kulin seasons, bush tucker, medicine and living sustainably with the land
- Learn about significant Wurundjeri symbols and totems
- Experience close-up encounters with plants and animals
- Learn about Wurundjeri dreaming stories and their significance
- Participate in practical activities
This professional development links to Victorian Curriculum Levels 3-6: Geography and History and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cross-curriculum priorities.
Mapped to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, it is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following:
- Standard 2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area(s)
Engage in a range cultural-based experiences that integrate into the curriculum and connect students with sustainability and Indigenous culture
- Standard 2.4 Understand and respect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to promote reconciliation between Indigenous and nonindigenous Australians
Provide opportunities for open dialog in this space to address barriers and application of indigenous perspectives
- Standard 6.2 Engage in professional learning and improve practice
Participate in learning to update knowledge and practice surrounding Aboriginal culture
You will receive a certificate for professional development hours.
Morning tea and vegetarian lunch will be provided.