Indigenous Nature Play (Early Childhood - Year 2)
Teacher professional development
Immerse yourself in the natural world and discover how to use the outdoor environment to engage your students. You will be given the chance to be a kid for a day and explore a diverse range of outdoor, hands-on learning experiences such as interacting with Aboriginal tools, weaving and creating art as well as listening to dreaming stories, learning language and discovering Wurundjeri connections to plants, wildlife and natural learning environments.
On the day, you will:
- Learn new ways to facilitate and deliver content of the Victorian Curriculum in an outdoor learning environment
- Experience and engage in a range of hands-on nature based learning experiences
- Discover how to embed Aboriginal culture and nature play into your teaching and curriculum planning
- Learn how to connect students to animals, nature and Aboriginal culture
- Develop an understanding of different resources that can be used in curriculum planning
This professional development supports links to Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and Victorian Curriculum Levels F-2: Science, Geography and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cross curriculum priorities.
Mapped to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, it is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following:
- Standard 2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area(s)
You will engage in a range of outdoor, nature-based experiences that integrate into the curriculum and connect students with Indigenous culture
- Standard 2.4 Understand and respect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to promote reconciliation between Indigenous and nonindigenous Australians
You’ll be provided with opportunities for open dialog in this space in order to address barriers and application of Indigenous perspectives
- Standard 6.2 Engage in professional learning and improve practice
You will learn new, exciting ways to deliver content of the Victorian Curriculum in outdoor learning spaces
You will receive a certificate for professional development hours. Morning tea and vegetarian lunch will be provided.