Indigenous Science (Year 1 - 4)
Teacher professional development
Immerse yourself in the natural world and learn how to use technology and storytelling to engage your students in the natural world and Aboriginal culture. Take on the role of student for the day as you take part in a diverse range of outdoor, hands-on learning experiences. Interact with Aboriginal tools and fire sticks, explore augmented reality, listen to dreaming stories, learn an ancient language, gather resources and gain an understanding of Wurundjeri connections to plants and wildlife and more in this action-packed PD.
On the day you will:
- Discover how to embed Aboriginal culture and technology into your teaching and curriculum planning
- Develop an understanding of different resources that can be used in unit planning
- Engage in a range of hands-on science/technology-based learning experiences such as augmented reality
- Learn how to connect students to animals, nature and Aboriginal culture
- Learn new ways to facilitate and deliver content of the Victorian Curriculum in an outdoor learning environment
This professional development links to Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and Victorian Curriculum levels 1-4: Science, Geography and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cross-curriculum priorities.
Mapped to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, it is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following:
- Standard 2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area(s)
Engage in a range cultural-based experiences that integrate into the curriculum and connect students with sustainability and Indigenous culture
- Standard 2.4 Understand and respect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to promote reconciliation between Indigenous and nonindigenous Australians
Provide opportunities for open dialog in this space to address barriers and application of indigenous perspectives
- Standard 6.2 Engage in professional learning and improve practice
Learn new, exciting ways to deliver content of the Victorian Curriculum pertaining to science and technology
You will receive a certificate for professional development hours.
Morning tea and vegetarian lunch will be provided.