Connecting Children to the Natural World (Early Childhood-Year 2)
For teachers who want to discover innovative ways to connect young learners to the natural world through storytelling and play in nature.
This PD workshop is exclusive for Zoos Victoria members and CECV teachers. It includes interactive activities, teaching tips and resources you can use right away.
If this workshop is not able to be held face-to-face a modified version will be held online.
Promoting a connection to the natural world helps children to become environmentally responsible and show respect for natural environments. Storytelling and Nature Play are highly effective ways to encourage children to use the natural environment to develop knowledge, and explore relationships between living and non-living things, their needs and their importance. In this workshop you will learn how to use Storytelling and Nature Play to connect young children to the natural world, developing a sense of wonder and awe and foster a love of nature.
You will learn:
- How to foster a connection between children and the natural world
- How nature play and storytelling can be a used as an engagement tool for teaching science
- From teachers working in the field
- How to gather practical resources to use in the classroom
- How to build an understanding of ways to embed science-focussed play-based learning themes within the VEYLDF and Victorian Curriculum
- From participating in workshops, discussions and presentations
- From networking and work collaboratively with like-minded peers
This PD supports the teaching of the Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and Victorian Curriculum levels Foundation-2: Science, Critical and Creative Thinking.
Vegetarian morning tea and lunch will be provided on the day.
This PD is accredited for the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers:
3.2 Plan, structure and sequence learning programs
You will be immersed in and develop powerful evidence-based teaching and learning resources
6.2 Engage in professional learning and improve practice
You will engage in professional learning at Melbourne Zoo with qualified Early Childhood Teachers
7.4 Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities
You will have opportunities to collaborate with likeminded peers and share teaching and learning ideas
You will receive a certificate for 6.5 hours of professional development.
Please call 1300 966 784 to book your place.