STEM at the Zoo – Energy, Water, Waste
Teacher web conference
A world-class zoo can create a world of waste if it’s not careful. Every week we deal with tonnes of animal poo, divert coffee cups and food packaging from landfill and produce megawatts of our own, clean energy.
Zoos Victoria became the world’s first carbon neutral zoo and, in the process, we learned a lot about how to reduce our energy use, conserve precious water and prevent waste being sent to landfill.
Now we want to share this with you and your students. Learn how we apply STEM skills to keep the zoo sustainable and ways to create fun lessons around sustainability concepts.
In this informative session, you will:
- Discover what sustainability looks like at the zoo and how it can translate into engaging lessons for your students
- Learn how to incorporate sustainability principles into real-world STEM curriculum
- Meet our resident sustainability expert and learn what it takes to become world’s first carbon neutral zoo
- And, importantly, find out what we do with all that poo!
Enjoy this web conference from wherever you please using Adobe Connect on your own device. You will be watching a live video stream and you will need to be able to listen to the conversation. You can type your comments and questions, so no camera or microphone is required.
This workshop is mapped to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. It is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following:
- Standard: 1.2 – Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of research into how students learn and the implications for teaching.
- Standard: 2.1 – Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concepts, substance and structure of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area.
- Standard: 6.2 – Understand the relevant and appropriate sources of professional learning for teachers.
You will receive a certificate for professional development hours.
Please complete this form to register and participate this free student web conference.
Zoos Victoria uses Adobe Connect to deliver web conferences, registered participants will be sent a unique URL prior to the web conference.