2024 Member Photo Competition
This document sets out the terms of participation in the Member Photo Competition – 2024 Calendar (the “Competition”).
- The promoter of this Competition is Zoos Victoria (the “Promoter”) ABN 96-913-959-053, located at the address of Elliott Avenue, Parkville VIC 3052.
- Entry to the Competition is open to all current Zoos Victoria Members. An entrant must be an individual and not a company or an organisation. Persons under 18 years of age must also have prior consent to enter the competition from a Parent or Guardian and further, the parent/guardian of the entrant must read and consent to these Terms and Conditions. Please note that all winners will be contacted by email and asked to submit a release form; any winner under the age of 18 years must have this form signed by their parent/guardian agreeing to the terms described therein. Employees of the Promoter and any person associated with the Competition, and any organisation or individual associated with the provision of the prize(s), are not eligible to enter.
- Each entry must be entered in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. By entering the Competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. The Promoter may in its discretion refuse to award any prize to any entrant who fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions. All relevant instructions on the Promoter’s website (if any) form part of these Terms and Conditions
- Entry into the Competition is free and must be done via the Zoos Victoria website.
- All entrants must be residents of Australia.
- Staff of Zoos Victoria are not eligible to enter.
- The 2024 Members Calendar will have one exclusive month (May) dedicated to Zoos Victoria Volunteer Members only. Zoos Victoria Volunteer Members image entries are eligible to enter for any other month or the front cover however must do so via the Volunteer Entry Form only. In the event the judging panel deem the Volunteer Member submissions to be not suitable, we reserve the right to use submissions from the general entries in its place.
- The Competition opens at 9:00am on 1 February 2023 and closes at 11.59pm on 31 May 2023 (“Competition Period”). Any entry received after the expiry of the Competition Period will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost, delayed or misdirected entries.
- To enter the Competition, you must: (i) submit a photo that you have taken at Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary or Kyabram Fauna Park (ii) the photo must be taken during the competition period time; and (iii) submit the photo in low-resolution (less than 4MB) to https://www.zoo.org.au/member-photo-competition
- The photographs must be owned by the entrant. The entrant must be the sole owner of the copyright in the photo(s) submitted.
- Valid details must be entered in the Registration form in order to be eligible to enter the competition.
- Each entry must include your name, email address, member number, contact phone number, and the zoo where the photograph was taken must be selected. By submitting your entry, you agree to the terms and conditions. Failure to submit the above information will deem your entry
- Maximum of 3 photos per zoo (Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo or Kyabram Fauna Park) with a maximum of 12 photos per member.
- Photos must be submitted in low resolution digital format, but the original photograph does not need to have been taken on a digital camera. High quality scans of transparencies or negatives will be accepted. Photos can be uploaded in JPG, or PNG format, with a maximum file size of 1MB. The panel of judges will only select photos that meet the selection criteria and are of high enough resolution to be printable at A3 size or above. The Promoter will contact the winners selected for a higher resolution photo to print of no less than 15MB. The Promoter can request the entrant to send their photograph via WeTransfer or Dropbox.
- Photos must not contain borders, watermarks, signatures or contact information. Digital adjustments including tone and contrast, burning, dodging, cropping, sharpening, noise reduction, minor cleaning work, HDR, stitched panoramas, focus stacking using multiple exposure taken at the same location at the same time are permitted. Adding or removing objects, animals or parts of animals, plants, people etc is not allowed. Black and white images will not be accepted. We reserve the right to remove any submitted imagery that is deemed inappropriate by the promoter. This will include any content which is deemed by the promoter to be racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive, or otherwise discriminatory or objectionable.
- Zoos Victoria reserves the right to request original, unedited photos prior to awarding prizes to the winner(s).
- By submitting your entry to the Promoter, you grant the Promoter and its licensees and assignees a non-exclusive license to exercise all rights in perpetuity throughout the world in your entry and all other material provided by you to the Promoter pursuant to this Competition at any time. Entrants grant the Promoter permission (which Entrants understand cannot be retracted) to use their entry for use on Zoos Victoria retail products and in any form across any media, including online and on social media, in order to conduct and promote Zoos Victoria. Entrants grant the promoter permission to alter the entered photo, if required, to fit required specifications for any intended purpose.
- Copyright remains with the author of the image, however by entering the competition the photographer gives Zoos Victoria the right to Publish entries in Calendar and for use in any promotion, or advertising relating to the Zoos Victoria Members Calendar Competition. Without limiting the rights granted to the Promoter under clause 17, you specifically agree that clause 17 grants to the Promoter the non-exclusive right to communicate your entry in whole or in part to the public throughout the world on any media platform and you grant to the Promoter all associated rights necessary to exercise the above rights.
- Chance plays no part in determining the prize winners.
- A panel of judges will select a shortlist of photos and entrants will be notified . From this pool the judges will select the final 13 photos and winners on the following criteria: ...
- The photo is of an animal at Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary or Kyabram Fauna Park and taken during the competition period.
- Composition of the photo.
- Does the photo tell a story.
- Does the photo have a 'X factor'
- Technical quality of the photo e.g. sharpness, exposure, depth of field, tonal range.
The judge's decision is final.
- The prize per winner is as follows:
The winning photos will feature in the 2024 Zoos Victoria Member Calendar. One photo per month, as well as one front cover. Photo credit will be printed with the photograph with each photo.
- No component of the prize can be transferred or redeemed for cash. In the event that 2024 Zoos Victoria Member Calendar is not produced, the Promoter reserves the right to cancel the competition.
- Any costs associated with entries, including but not limited to any travel, spending money, meals, additional accommodation, insurance and all other ancillary costs are the responsibility of the entrants.
- Shortlisted winners of each category will be notified by 4 September 2023. Upon being shortlisted, a high-resolution copy of the selected photo must be provided to Zoos Victoria within one week of being requested. Failure to provide a high-resolution copy of the shortlisted image within this period may result in the image being removed from the shortlist. This decision is at the sole discretion of the judging panel.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any direct, indirect, special or consequential loss or damage caused, or suffered by the winner in relation to any person entering into the Competition, including without limitation non-receipt of any prize or damage to any prize in transit.
- You warrant that:(i) all details provided with your entry are true and accurate;(ii) you have all necessary rights and licenses to grant the rights set out in these Terms and Conditions;(iii) your entry is your original work and has not been previously communicated to the public;(iv) the exercise of the rights granted to the Promoter in these Terms and Conditions will not infringe the rights of any third parties; and you will indemnify the Promoter against any loss or damage resulting from any breach of these warranties.
- You acknowledge that the Promoter is under no obligation to exercise any of the rights granted to it by these Terms and Conditions and any communication of your entry to the public by the Promoter is at the complete discretion of the Promoter.
- You agree that the Promoter may use your entry and any personal details provided to the Promoter for any promotional, marketing and publicity purposes of the Promoter in any media without notice and without any fee being paid to you.
- Decisions of the Promoter and its panel of judges are final and will be binding on each person who enters the Competition and no correspondence will be entered into. The names of the Prize Winners will be published on our website by 31 October 2023.
- If there is any event that prevents or hinders the Promoter’s conduct of the Competition or the Promoter’s ability to deliver the prize/s to the prize winner/s of the Competition, the Promoter may, in its discretion, cancel the Competition and recommence it at another time under the same conditions or select another winner.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this Competition, or for any technical error that may occur in the course of the administration of this Competition. The Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
- All general Zoos Victoria “Conditions of entry” still apply. You can see these conditions of entry atzoo.org.au/about-us/terms-and-conditions-of-entry-to-our-zoos