Gorilla Adaptations and Survival (Year 5 – 6)
Join us for an insight into the lives of the incredible gorillas we care for at Werribee Open Range Zoo through the firsthand experiences of a gorilla expert.
Learn about the incredible adaptations gorillas have evolved to survive in their environment in the rainforests of Africa.
Students will gain a personal insight into the gorillas at Werribee Open Range Zoo and how Zoos Victoria cares for them. They will also explore the threats gorillas face in the wild and how they can help by supporting the work of our partner, Gorilla Doctors.
Students will learn:
- About the unique qualities of gorillas and how they are adapted for their environments
- About the personalities of the gorillas at Werribee Open Range Zoo and how we care for them
- How we, here in Australia, can support communities and gorillas in Africa
Victorian Curriculum 5-6
Environmental and human influences on the location and characteristics of places and the management of spaces within them (VCGGK096)
- Students will explore how the demand for technology is driving Coltan mining in the Congo causing gorilla numbers to decline in the wild, and how Australians can help support the work of Gorilla Doctors in Africa by recycling old mobile phones
The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (VCSSU075)
- Students will explore how the demand for technology is driving coltan mining in the Congo causing habitat loss, which is threatening the survival of gorillas in the wild
Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (VCSSU074)
- Students will learn what structural features and adaptations help gorillas to survive in their environment
Plan your webinar
- Session will open 10 minutes before the scheduled start time
- Participant mic and video will be turned off
- Each webinar may have participants from multiple schools
- Students can communicate with Zoo Teachers by typing in the Q&A
- If you need to know which of your students are attending, please do a roll call before or after the webinar