Secondary school work experience
Zoos Victoria has developed a secondary school work experience program to inspire the next generation of youth to work with wildlife.
Each year, a limited number of students are selected to gain experience at one of Victoria’s four zoos; Healesville Sanctuary, Kyabram Fauna Park, Melbourne Zoo or Werribee Open Range Zoo.
Students finish the week with a deeper appreciation of wildlife, the environment we share with them, and how each role within the organisation works towards conservation.
Some key details for applicants:
- The program is a full-day, week-long, and all weather
- Attendance dates for the successful students will be available over each term
- Successful students will be required to perform physically demanding manual labour duties under supervision
- Applications from secondary students are accepted one year in advance
Who is eligible?
Victorian secondary students aged over 15 years are eligible for the program. All work experience students must be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 and provide proof upon acceptance of placement.
School Careers Coordinators can only endorse one student per school.
Applications are currently CLOSED. Work experience applications for 2024 will open in August 2023. Keep an eye on this page for any updates.
How to apply
To apply, students must:
- Choose one property to complete work experience placement: Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo, OR Werribee Open Range Zoo
- Submit a cover letter detailing how they meet the criteria listed in the property Role Descriptions (to be provided August 2023)
- Read the Guidelines for Working with Animals to ensure you have considered the risks of working with animals
- Complete the Work Experience with Animals Form and submit it for consideration to their school's Work Experience Coordinator
- Submit their application, with the help of the school's Work Experience Coordinator, through the online application process