Wombat Joey Shadow wrapped snugly in a green blanket being cuddled by a keeper at Healesville Sanctuary.

Emergency wildlife help

Found a sick, injured or orphaned animal? Contact one of these groups to help.

Time is often one of the most important factors when caring for a sick, injured, orphaned or distressed animal. There are a number of organisations you can contact no matter what time of the day or where you are located that can provide emergency help for wildlife.

Orphaned koala sitting in a tub being weighed with a vet sitting next to it

Native wildlife in Victoria’s east: contact Healesville Sanctuary’s Australian Wildlife Health Centre 

Healesville Sanctuary has an onsite veterinary clinic that assists injured, sick and orphaned wildlife. 

Australian Wildlife Health Centre, Healesville Sanctuary
Phone: (03) 5957 2829
Animal drop-off: 9am to 4pm

Please note, if you find an injured, sick or orphaned Platypus, please call the Australian Wildlife Health Centre at Healesville Sanctuary.


Native wildlife in Victoria’s west: contact the RSPCA Koala Ward at Werribee Open Range Zoo 

Werribee Open Range Zoo has an onsite veterinary clinic that assists injured, sick and orphaned wildlife. ​​

RSPCA Koala Ward, Werribee Open Range Zoo
Phone: (03) 9731 9614
Animal drop-off: 9am to 4pm

Seal looking at camera

Marine wildlife: contact Melbourne Zoo’s Marine Response Unit

The Marine Response Unit is Victoria's first dedicated marine unit, responding to calls for assistance involving seals, turtles and marine birds in Victorian waters.
Phone: 1300 245 MRU (1300 245 678)

For whales and Dolphins, please contact the Whale and Dolphin Emergency Hotline:
Phone: 1300 136 017

If you need help transporting the animal or have found the animal after-hours contact one of these organisations:

Help for Wildlife is a 24-hour state-wide emergency service to assist with injured or distressed wildlife on all levels.
Phone: 0477 555 611

Wildlife Victoria contacts a nearby volunteer who will then locate the animal and determine the best course of action.
(03) 8400 7300

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) can assist with finding a wildlife rehabilitation organisation.
To find a local carer 
136 186

Central Victorian wildlife

Wildlife Rescue & Information Network can assist with helping Central Victoria's wildlife.
Phone: 0419 356 433


Contact the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA)
Phone: 136 186

Lost pets and non-native animals

Contact your local shire office, pound or veterinary clinic.

If you have found an injured pet and can safely transport them to a veterinary clinic, please contact your nearest vet.