Escape to the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges located less than one hour from Melbourne.
The Yarra Valley is recognised as one of the world’s premier wine growing regions with over 80 sensational wineries, superb restaurants serving fresh regional produce, breathtaking scenery and plenty of attractions for children and adults alike.
The Dandenong Ranges is a haven of hidden delights with scenic winding roads to quaint hilltop villages. There is an abundance of artist studios, craft stores and renowned gardens to explore as well as the renowned Puffing Bully Stream Train.
Below are a few sugestions of how you might like to extend your stay in the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges after a visit to Healesville Sanctuary:
- Hedgend Maze – Located just arounf the corner from Healesville Sanctuary, Hedgend Maze offers a huge range of maze’s, puzzles and games to keep guests active and engaged for hours.
- Healesville village – Wander the tree lined streets filled with specialty shops and award winning cafes, restaurants and even a brewery.lovely cafes and shops in a village atmosphere.
- Visit wineries along the Maroondah Highway between Healesville and Coldstream including Rochford, the famous Domaine Chandon (Moet & Chandon’s Australian Winery), Oakridge and Dominique Portet, and many other mid-size and boutique cellar doors that provide an intimate wine experience, unlike many other wine regions.
- Visit the Yarra Valley Dairy on a working farm and shop for sales and tastings of their range of handmade farmhouse cheeses, Yering Station to visit the cellar door, gallery and gardens or Chateau Yering next door to stay or enjoy a meal.
- Enjoy a ride on Puffing Billy Steam Railway, Australia's oldest steam railway and one of the finest preserved steam railways in the world.
- Each weekend the Yarra Valley plays host to wonderful produce and craft markets, including the Yarra Glen Racecourse Market (1st Sunday of the month), Yarra Valley Farmers’ Market at Yering Station (3rd Sunday) and Healesville Community Market (3rd Sunday)
- The Yarra Valley offers delicious fresh locally grown produce that is sure to impress and leave you craving for more. Head to Rayner Fruit Orchard and Peach Café to see over 300 varieties of fruit and take a tractor Farm Discovery Tour or visit Gateway Estate to pick fresh strawberries all year round.
- Lake Mountain Alpine Resort – Melbourne’s closest alpine experience, providing a mountain of fun all year round. An ambundance of snow play areas and toboggan runs, with over 30km of cross country ski trails to explore on skis or snow shoes. During the warmer months the mountain is popular for bush walking, mountain bike riding and cycling.
To find out more about the many things to see and do while visiting the region drop into one of the local visitor information centre or visit http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Yarra-Valley-and-Dandenong-Ranges