We will support our staff’s development to ensure they can actively support the transformation of Zoos Victoria to a zoo-based conservation organisation.
We work with all our staff to help them be the best they can be at work. We provide training and development opportunities and foster high achievement as individuals and within teams.
Staff share our values, aspire to be true advocates and ambassadors for Zoos Victoria, and help us to achieve our vision. Our working relationships are characterised by honesty and integrity.
Year on year, Zoos Victoria has achieved high staff satisfaction (75% in 2012) and significant staff identification with our vision to become a zoo-based conservation organisation (93% in 2012).
Our guiding principles are:
- We will empower operational autonomy and the growth of individual value propositions at each of our three properties, but we will work as one organisation, with one strategic direction.
- We will respect both the skill and role of fellow staff members and their place in achieving our vision and we will look to their expertise and capacity before seeking outside help.
- We will strive to operate a safe, positive and enjoyable work environment.
- We will attract and retain highly motivated staff, volunteers and partners.
- We will abide by and support organisation decisions.
- We will maintain regular and open communication with each other and involve our people in planning and decision-making.
- We will provide time and space for social connection and activity.
- We respect the views and values of individuals and other organisations, but will only focus our work and build partnerships with those that align with our vision
Zoos Victoria has developed a Staff Code of Conduct which outlines our expectations of all staff.
Health and safety
Zoos Victoria’s Health and Safety Code is aimed at ensuring that at all times the health and well-being of our staff, our contractors, our volunteers, and our visitors are our primary concerns.
Zoos Victoria is striving to achieve a workplace free of lost time incidents.
Zoos Victoria staff are committed to, and strive for, continual improvement in our health and safety performance by:
- Consistently demonstrating leadership and commitment to health and safety
- Working in a manner that promotes the health and safety of all staff, contractors and visitors
- Addressing health and safety issues as a matter of urgency
- Managers and supervisors being accountable for guiding a healthy and safe workplace.
- Providing training and development to enable all of us to work safely
- Supporting injured staff to return to work in a safe and timely manner.
- Providing a safe and healthy working environment
- Providing safe work practices, guidelines and policies
- Regularly auditing and reporting health and safety performance against measurable objectives and targets.
- Communicating openly and honestly about health and safety
- Management and staff consulting regularly with each other about health and safety.
- Working safely as a condition of employment
- Observing all health and safety workplace laws, regulations and statutory obligations
- Observing the health and safety policy and all other related policies, guidelines and procedures
- Raising health and safety matters immediately with managers, supervisors or health and safety representatives
- By engaging and informing staff about all Zoos Victoria’s health and safety policies and procedures, especially those relating to their work.