add angle-downbadge calendarcard check-circle-ocheck clockemail envelope-oexclamation-circleexternal-link-squareexternal-linkfacebook-squarefacebook fighting-extinction flag-checkeredgift green-check info-circleinstagram-squareinstagram linkedin lock logo-healesville-inverse Healesville Sanctuary logoCreated with Sketch. logo-melbourne-inverse Melbourne Zoo logoCreated with Sketch. logo-werribee-inverse Werribee Zoo logo CopyCreated with Sketch. logo-zv-icons logo-zv-inverse logo-zv mime-pdf minus-boulderminus-circlepencilphone pinterest plus-boulderplus-circleremove tick timestwitter-squaretwitter vic-gov youtube

Emergency Help for Wildlife

Do you need emergency help in caring for a native animal? Have you found a snake, or a pet? We can help with all these issues and more – or at least, we can point you in the direction of someone who can.

Found a sick, injured or orphaned native animal?

Contact one of the following networks:

Healesville Sanctuary's Wildlife Hospital
Phone lines open 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm 
Phone (03) 5957 2829
Animal drop-off: 9am to 4pm

Department of Sustainability and Environment
The Department of Sustainability and Environment has a list of wildlife rehabilitation organisations
Phone 136 186

Help for Wildlife
Help for Wildlife is a 24 hour statewide emergency service and is a voluntary, non-profit organisation established to assist with distressed wildlife on all levels.
Phone 0417 380 687

Wildlife Victoria
Wildlife Victoria responds to calls through the emergency phone service when you report a sick, injured or orphaned animal. They use a comprehensive database to locate the nearest available and suitably experienced volunteer who then locates the animal and determines the most appropriate course of action.
Phone 1300 094 535

Wildlife Rescue & Information Network 
Looking after Central Victoria's wildlife.
Phone 0419 356 433

Found a marine animal in distress?

If you see injured or distress marine wildlife please contact the AGL Marine Response Unit.

Phone 1300 AGL MRU (1300 245 678)


Found a snake?

The Department of Sustainability and Environment’s Customer Service Centre can supply the names of the nearest licensed snake handlers.

Phone 136 186

Found an escaped pet?

Contact your local shire office/pound or veterinary clinic.

If you have found an injured animal and can safely transport them to a veterinary clinic, please contact your nearest vet.

Frequently asked questions about wildlife

Some of the questions we’re most often asked about wildlife can be answered by simply following these links.