Information collected by Zoos Victoria
For each visitor to our website, our web server collects the following type of information for statistical purposes:
- Number of users who visit the website;
- Date and time of the visits;
- Pages accessed;
- User's top-level domain name (for example .com or .gov);
- Previous site visited;
- Type of browser used;
- Type of device use user's operating system (such as Windows or Macintosh); and
- Google Analytics demographics and interest reporting (such as what country you are from, what language your computer is set to, age group, gender and interest area).
This is anonymous statistical data and no attempt will be made to identify users. We use this data to evaluate our website and to improve the content we display to you.
We also use technology called cookies when you visit our site. Cookies are pieces of information that a website can transfer to an individual's computer hard drive for record-keeping. Your cookie may be sent at various times during your visit to our website and may be updated as you access our many different areas.
In addition to the information that we collect, we may ask you for personal information at other times, such as (but not limited to) when you:
- Make a purchase at our online store;
- Purchase a ticket upon entry;
- Access our free onsite WiFi;
- Join a Zoo Membership Program;
- Enter promotions or competitions;
- Respond to a survey;
- Participate in a discussion forum;
- Request information from us;
- Make a donation or join a sponsorship program;
- Apply to help us in a voluntary capacity (including work experience);
- Make a booking for a group visit or attendance at a Zoo function; or
- Join an e-newsletter (including news, events and special offers).
If your personal information is not collected then we may not be able to provide you with the information or assistance sought from us.
Use and disclosure of your personal information
Zoos Victoria will use your personal information for the purpose for which it was provided to us. Zoos Victoria may also use your information:
- To keep you informed about special promotions, events and other special offers and discounts relevant to the Zoo and its members program; and
- For planning, research, marketing and product and service development purposes.
Zoos Victoria may disclose your information to specialist service providers such as, but not limited to:
- Data analysis specialists;
- Statement producers;
- Data mail houses;
- Data processing organisations; and
- Specialist call centres.
Where such disclosures are made, Zoos Victoria will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information through the use of confidentiality agreements and other contractual obligations.
Aggregated (or de-identified) data may be shared with approved business partners from time to time, for analysis and research purposes. It may also be used in the development of products and services and promotional offers.
In limited circumstances, we may publish names in our promotional materials, such as winners of competitions.
Information collected by external organisations
Storage of and access to personal information
In all cases where Zoos Victoria retains your personal information for our purposes, we treat it the same way as we treat our other confidential information. Except as set out in this policy, we do not sell (or otherwise make available) the information to any other organisation, unless required to do so by law.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect about you and use is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you at any time. If the information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, you can ask us to modify our records.
You can make a request to access to, or modification of, the information we keep about you by writing to:
PO Box 74
Parkville VIC 3052
If you would like to make a complaint to Zoos Victoria regarding this policy or your personal information generally, please contact our Privacy Officer at the address above.