Adaptations and Features Year 5-6
Discover the diversity of Australian animals, their amazing adaptations, and the environmental conditions they need to survive.
In Adaptations and Features Year 5-6, students will discover Australian animals' structural features, adaptations, and how they depend on delicate ecosystems for survival. Students can use their newfound understanding of animal adaptations to identify features, classify the incredible animals at the Park, and discover connections between living things.
Students will learn:
- To identify the structural features and adaptations of Australian animals
- How Australian animals rely on each other and their environment to survive
Use the activities in the Teaching Guide (below) to spark students’ curiosity before their zoo visit.
Connect and Understand
Students will explore and be challenged to classify animals based on their features and adaptations that help them survive.
Your Park visit will include: an introduction to the day, Zoo Teacher workshop (30 minutes), and a self-guided walking trail. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the Park.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen students’ learning back at school.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable students to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Program map and itineraries
Your booking confirmation email will list your group's education workshop time/s.
Victorian Curriculum 5-6
Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (VCSSU074)
- Students will learn about structural and behavioural adaptations and how they help animals to survive in their environment through insightful observations
The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (VCSSU075)
- Students will learn about the fragile nature of ecosystems, what animals need to thrive in their environment
Plan your excursion
Adaptations and Features Year 5-6 is an outdoor all-weather program; the students will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection
School groups will enter Kyabram Fauna Park via the Main entrance. Organising teachers please check with in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More Information.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level