Community Conservation Project
VCE VM - Unit 4 will support you in the creation of real community projects with your students to help local wildlife.
VCE Vocational Major Unit 4
In the Community Conservation Project students will take an in-depth look at the Marine Response Unit and how they respond to marine and freshwater wildlife in distress. Students will discover the strategies Zoos Victoria utilises to engage visitors in their conservation projects. They will work collaboratively with a Zoo Teacher to develop a project plan. This includes identifying roles and responsibilities, which they can then take back to school to implement, evaluate and continue to contribute to help local wildlife.
This program is suitable for students completing their studies under the previous Senior VCAL curriculum.
Students will learn:
- To apply Zoos Victoria’s, Connect-Understand-Act tool in the design and delivery of their own community conservation projects
- To discuss the environmental issue of litter pollution and its impact on wildlife in their local community
- To take responsibility for various tasks required to successfully complete their project
Use the activities in the Teaching Guide (below) to spark students’ curiosity before their zoo visit.
Students will have the opportunity to build on their knowledge of relevant environmental issues in their community, ways to engage communities in these issues and ask questions of a Zoo Teacher to develop a project plan for an environmental project.
Your zoo visit will include: An introduction to the day (for arrivals between 9.45am and 10.00am), Zoo Teacher workshop (40 minutes) and keeper talks. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the zoo.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen students’ learning back at school.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable students to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Your booking confirmation email will list your group's education workshop time/s. Each workshop time has its own map and suggested daily itinerary. Digital maps will be provided to you on the day.
VCE Vocational Major - Personal Development Skills
Area of Study 1: Planning a community project
- Students will be involved in the process of planning and designing a community project, and identify the objectives to be achieved in the project
- They will identify key resources related to the project (such as time, materials, technology)
- Students will work on a process for allocating team member responsibilities
- Students will identify key actions and strategies to be implemented in the project
Plan your excursion
Community Conservation Project is an outdoor all-weather program; the students will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
Bring what students need to record their research e.g. notes, drawings, photographs, videos, voice memos, diagrams.
School groups will enter Melbourne Zoo via the Rail Gate entrance. Organising teachers please check in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More Information.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level