Nature Play the Wurundjeri Way
Engage your senses in nature! Connect with the environment through nature play and learn about Wurundjeri culture and unique Australian wildlife.
In Nature Play the Wurundjeri Way, children will ignite their curiosity and use their senses to explore and connect with the natural world. They will discover the plants and animals that make this land unique and why Healesville Sanctuary is special to the Traditional Owners, the Wurundjeri people.
Set in the beautiful Australian bush, children will experience the wonder of wildlife and the joy of caring for the environment. They will exercise their enquiring minds as they interact with Aboriginal tools, learn simple Woiwurrung language, listen to Dreaming stories, and discover Wurundjeri connections to Country.
Children will learn:
- About Wurundjeri culture and connections to Country
- Appreciation, care and respect for the natural environment
- Interdependence between land, people, plants, and animals
- About the impact of human activity on environments and living things
Can’t make it to one of our zoos? Our Digital Program gives you direct access to your own expert Zoo Teacher and unique zoo content. Location is no longer a barrier.
Use the activities in the Teaching Guide and Student Workbook (below) to spark students’ curiosity before their Healesville Sanctuary visit.
Connect and Understand
Through song, guided discussions, nature play and Aboriginal storytelling, children will learn about how animals, plants and people are all connected. Children will learn to be a custodian of the land and discover the joy of the natural world – just as the Wurundjeri people do.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide and Student Workbook to deepen students’ learning back at school.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable children to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Program maps and itineraries
Digital maps will be provided to you on the day.
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF)
- Children will learn ways to care for the environment
- Children will be supported to work collaboratively in safe, outdoor, natural play spaces and make new discoveries about the interconnectedness of the land, plants, animals and Wurundjeri culture.
- Children will use their senses to connect with living and non-living things in the natural environment and explore how the Wurundjeri people use different tools, techniques and share Dreaming stories.
Plan your excursion
Nature Play the Wurundjeri Way is an outdoor all-weather program; the children will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
School groups will enter Healesville Sanctuary via the Main Entrance. Organising teachers please check in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More information.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level