Nature’s Calling on all the senses to explore, play and learn about wildlife and the natural environment. What will you discover?
Children will learn:
- About the basic needs of animals
- How to appreciate and care for the natural environment
- How to explore unfamiliar and unique terrain using all of their senses
Use the activities in the Teaching Guide (below) to spark children's curiosity before their zoo visit.
Connect and Understand
With a unique education workshop, exploring the self-guided walking trails, a guided safari bus tour or joining a keeper talk there is plenty to keep your children intrigued. This full-day, play-based experience is a unique and immersive learning experience, drawing on your children’s natural instincts to explore the world around them.
Your zoo visit will include: Introduction (for arrivals between 9:45am – 10:00am), Zoo Teacher workshop (30 minutes), Safari Bus Tour (40 minutes) and keeper talks. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the zoo.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen children's learning back at your early childhood service.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable children to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Program maps and itineraries
Your booking confirmation email will list your group's education workshop/s and safari bus tour time. Each workshop time has its own map and daily itinerary. Paper maps will be provided to you on the day.
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF)
- Children are immersed in a habitat where they can explore and play to develop their respect for living and non-living things to develop their understanding of the interdependence between land, plants and animals
- Children will have the opportunity to explore a new environment participating in physical play and negotiating play spaces to ensure the safety and wellbeing of themselves and others
- Children are immersed in a carefully planned environment designed as The Third Teacher with provocations to stimulate curiosity, wonder, imagination and questioning and allow for intentional teaching practice
- A carefully planned natural environment provides children with abundant opportunities for sensory exploration that naturally encourages children to respond verbally and non-verbally to what they see, hear, touch and feel
Plan your excursion
This program is an outdoor all-weather program; the children will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level