VCE Geography Unit 2
Get a first-hand insight into how Zoos Victoria assesses and mitigates tourism’s impact with an opportunity to collect and analyse on-site data.
VCE Geography Unit 2
What are the environmental, economic and cultural impacts of tourism? Can we harness tourism to deliver positive environmental outcomes? Using Zoos Victoria as a case study, VCE Geography students will explore answers to these questions through behind-the-scenes insights into organisational operations and strategy. They will identify the different impacts of tourism and investigate how tourists can be influenced to support wildlife conservation. Students will also learn how a large organisation gathers, collects and implements data to inform decision-making.
Students will learn:
- Tourism’s impact at different locations and scales
- How to collect, sort, process and represent primary source data and other information
- How to evaluate the effectiveness of management strategies in relation to environmental sustainability, economic viability and socio-cultural value of tourism
- How to conduct and complete fieldwork requirement by gathering real data on-site
Use the activities in the Teaching Guide (below) to inform and prepare students’ before their zoo visit.
Start your excursion day with a workshop conducted by a Zoo Teacher exploring the big question, "How effective are organisations in having a positive impact on tourism?". A second workshop introduces students to a zoo-led conservation campaign in preparation for on-site fieldwork.
In the field, students will prepare a visitor heat-map or undertake visitor interaction to obtain primary source data for the unit. Students will also have access to zoo data for further, in-depth analysis.
Your zoo visit will include: Zoo Teacher workshop (85 minutes), fieldwork and observation opportunities and keeper talks. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the zoo
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen students’ learning and enable them to master their knowledge and skills back at school.
Your booking confirmation email will list your group's education workshop time/s. Digital maps will be provided to you on the day.
VCE teaching guides are password protected. You will receive the password via email before your excursion. You can also request the password upon booking.
Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) – Geography
Area of study 2: Impact of Tourism
- Students will conduct a geographic inquiry that investigates the environmental, socio-cultural and economic impacts of tourism. They will identify and analyse Zoos Victoria's management strategies, which are designed to respond to these impacts. They will also explore the role that planning has for sustainable outcomes in tourism.
Plan your excursion
This program is an outdoor all-weather program; the students will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
Bring what students need to record their research e.g. notes, drawings, photographs, videos, voice memos, diagrams.
School groups will enter Melbourne Zoo via the Rail Gate entrance. Organising teachers please check in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More Information.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level