Zoo Careers and Workplace Skills
A unique experience for students to develop their practical knowledge and understanding of the skills required to work in a zoo related context. This program enables students to explore and consider a diversity of career opportunities within zoos.
In this program Zoo Careers and Workplace Skills, students experience an insight into the skills required to complete complex work-related activities similar to those used to select successful candidates for zoo keeper roles.
Students will learn:
- Authentic work-related activities similar to those used recruiting zoo keepers
- Specialist and technical skills for zoo specific occupations
- To collect and interpret information about a number of Zoos Victoria’s community conservation campaigns
- About Zoos Victoria’s mission to fight extinction and how they can contribute
Use the activities in the teaching guide (below) to spark students’ curiosity before their zoo visit.
Connect and Understand
Students will learn, develop and practice a variety of skills required for training, analysing and interpreting animal behaviour. During the program, students will also have the opportunity to collect and interpret information about Zoos Victoria’s community conservation campaigns.
Your zoo visit will include: Introduction (for arrivals between 9.45am – 10.00am), Zoo Teacher workshop (30 minutes), Safari Bus Tour (40 minutes) and keeper talks. Check out your Teaching Guide for other ideas of what to do at the zoo.
Use activities in the Teaching Guide to deepen students’ learning back at school.
Use the Teaching Guide to enable students to master their knowledge and skills in real-world contexts.
Program maps and itineraries
Your booking confirmation email will list your group's education workshop/s and safari bus tour time. Each workshop time has its own map and daily itinerary. Paper maps will be provided to you on the day.
Victorian Certificate of Education Vocational Major - Work Related Skills
Area of Study 1: Skills and capabilities for employment and further education
- Students will practice their employability skills including communication, teamwork and problem solving through a variety of zoo activities
Area of Study 2: Transferable skills and capabilities
- Students will apply new skills and knowledge to simulated workplace scenarios involving animal training, welfare and behaviour.
Plan your excursion
Zoo Careers and Workplace Skills is an outdoor all-weather program; the students will need appropriate clothing for weather conditions. This could include a raincoat, hat and sun protection.
Bring what students need to record their research e.g. notes, drawings, photographs, videos, voice memos, diagrams.
School groups will enter Werribee Open Range Zoo via the Main Entrance. Organising teachers please check in with our Admissions team upon arrival. More information.
Book your education experience
Fill out an online form to request a booking for your zoo education experienceRequest booking now
You will need to know the following to book your zoo excursion or online workshop:
- Education program of your choice (if applicable)
- Preferred date
- School name and address
- Contact details of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level