Membership Terms and Conditions
Membership terms and conditions have recently been reformatted. You're viewing the version prior to May 2022.
Membership Terms and Conditions
Members who elect to pay yearly membership fees must select one of the following plans:
(a) Annual Membership - pay by the month plan
|automatically roll over your membership from year to year until you opt-out in accordance with these terms and conditions.|
|(b) Annual Membership - automatic rollover plan||automatically roll over your membership from year to year until you opt-out in accordance with these terms and conditions.|
|(c) Annual Membership - single year plan||Payment is deducted in one instalment on the date of joining via your nominated MasterCard, VISA.credit card or Paypal account|
The terms and conditions applicable to each type of plan are set out below. In applying for or using a membership, you agree to these terms and conditions.
1. CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ALL MEMBERSHIP PLANS
- Membership grants the listed member or members (except for supporter membership) unlimited entry during normal opening hours to Melbourne Zoo, Sir Colin MacKenzie Zoological Park (also referred to as "Healesville Sanctuary") and Werribee Open Range Zoo for 12 continuous months ending on the date of expiry of that membership. This is subject to our right to suspend or terminate any membership. Supporter Membership must pay an entry fee (refer to conditions in Section 2).
- Zoo News subscription will be provided throughout the year either via direct mail or electronically.
- Children under 16 years of age cannot become members on their own and must be added to an adult membership.
- Membership is not transferable. Only the named person or persons listed on a membership card may use it.
- If required, we may require that you provide proof of identification or proof of documentation to receive the concessional membership fee. For example- A student membership covers a full-time student on presentation of valid student card or another form of identification acceptable to us.
- We may change or revoke any membership terms, benefits, or privileges at our discretion. We will try to give you advance notice (at least 28 days) of any such changes, for example by email or in our newsletters.
- Except to the extent required by law, including the Australian Consumer Law, membership is not exchangeable or refundable, pro-rata or otherwise. However, a Supporter Membership can be upgraded to a standard Zoo Membership during the applicable membership period, and the amount paid for the supporter membership will be credited towards the new membership package.
- Membership entry benefits do not apply to special events such as "Zoo Twilights" or other similar events. Child membership entry benefits do not apply to school, kindergarten and childcare visits in which that child is participating.
- You must notify us promptly of any change to your nominated contact details.
- You authorise Zoos Victoria to debit from your nominated credit card, debit card or Paypal account all amounts payable under these terms and conditions without further notice. This includes consent to multiple debit attempts if a payment fails to transfer.
- We may refuse any application for membership.
- Membership upgrades are offered to visitors who have purchased a Zoos Victoria admissions ticket for entry to Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Open Range Zoo or Healesville Sanctuary. Only one adult, concession or senior admissions ticket can be deducted per adult, concession or senior Zoos Victoria Membership. A visitor has 14 days from their admissions ticket visit date to upgrade to a Zoos Victoria Membership and must produce a Zoos Victoria receipt. Upgrades are available at Zoo admissions or by calling 1300 966 784.
1.2. Ancillary Benefits
Ancillary benefits are arrangements offered from time to time. They can change over time, and Zoos Victoria will update the offer on our website or advised members any changes by email or through Zoo News. We are not liable for any reduction in ancillary benefits.
- Reciprocal Entry to partner zoos
- This benefit is not available for Supporter Membership.
- Partners can vary and terminate the reciprocal arrangement between zoos at any time. You should be aware that Zoos Victoria does not guarantee the benefit or be responsible for partner zoos withdrawing from the program.
- For Zoos Victoria members who live in NSW, SA, QLD, NT, WA and ACT, reciprocal entry rights to selected interstate zoos (which may include Taronga Zoo, Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Adelaide Zoo, Monarto Zoo and Perth Zoo) apply to Adult, Child under 4, Concession and Seniors. Children between the ages of 4 and 15 may be charged an entry fee.
- For Zoos Victoria members who live in Victoria or Tasmania, reciprocal entry rights to selected interstate zoos (which may include Taronga Zoo, Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Adelaide Zoo, Monarto Zoo and Perth Zoo) applies to all membership types.
- Partner zoos may charge you a non-refundable entry fee if you do not present a valid Zoos Victoria membership card upon entry, along with any other proof of identity and entitlement to concessions that the partner zoo requires. The same rule applies for interstate zoo members entering a Zoos Victoria property.
- Reciprocal rights between interstate zoos only apply to zoo entry, and no discounting on retail purchases or food outlets at an interstate zoo will be applied. The same rule applies for interstate zoo members entering a Zoos Victoria property.
- Zoos Victoria may offer benefits, special program and activities including member events and activities such as Zoo Twilight or animal previews. However, you must opt-in to receive such benefits. A Support Member must still pay Zoo entry or other charges to attend such an event.
- Discount is given for purchases of Zoos Victoria’s program, activities and at the retail shop. Discount at the retail stores will be given upon presentation of a valid Zoos Victoria membership card and information collected is linked to their membership. Discount does not apply to goods or services offered by a third party vendor; for example, all catering outlets at Zoos Victoria are operated by third-party vendors.
- Zoos Victoria may notify you of any benefits offered by our partners and sponsors. However, you must opt-in to receive details of the offer.
1.3. Annual Membership - single year plan
The Plan will be deducted in one instalment on the date of joining via your nominated MasterCard, VISA or Paypal account. For other plans refer to sections below.
1.4. Cancellation or suspend your membership by Zoo Victoria
- We can immediately cancel or suspend your membership if:
- We consider that you or another person on your membership card has breached our membership terms and conditions;
- We consider that you or another person on your membership card has breached Zoos Victoria terms and conditions of entry;
- If you fail to pay the amount for your membership when due.
- We can suspend any membership for a period determined in our absolute discretion.
1.5. If we cancel or suspend your membership, or if you cancel your membership:
- All amounts that you owe to us will remain due and payable despite the suspension or cancellation
- Upon cancellation, all of your membership benefits including entry to Zoos will be cancelled
- Upon suspension, all of your membership benefits including entry to Zoos, will be suspended for the period of suspension. However, instalment will continue to be deducted as outlined in Section 1.2(a) for Pay-by-the-month Plan or as outlined in Section 2.1.3(a) for Automatic Rollover Plan.
1.6. Cancellation by a member
You can cancel your membership by notifying us. However:
- If you have an Annual Membership - pay by the month plan, and cancel before the end of the membership period, you must pay us Zoos Victoria all of the remaining instalments and all other amounts that you owe us Zoos Victoria at the time of cancellation.
- If you have an Annual Membership - automatic renewal plan and wish to opt-out of the automatic rollover of your plan, you must follow the process set out below Section 2.
1.7. Use of lapsed member information
- Zoos Victoria will continue to keep lapsed members informed about special promotions, events and other specials offers and discounts relevant to the Zoo, its member program and business partners until a lapsed member unsubscribes from the Zoos Victoria database.
2. ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS FOR SPECIFIC ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PLAN
2.1. Pay-by-the-month or automatic rollover plan
The additional common and specific conditions apply to Pay-by-the-month Plan or Automatic Rollover Plan are:
2.1.1. Common conditions for pay-by-the-month plan or automatic rollover plan
- You must:
- Have sufficient cleared funds available in your nominated account on the scheduled payment date
- Ensure the account details you have provided are correct, including letting us know if the expiry date for your nominated MasterCard or VISA card changes or changes to a PayPal account.
- If any payment is not successful or is dishonoured by your financial institution:
- We will request immediate payment from you
- We reserve the right to recover from you all costs, charges and fees associated with the unsuccessful or dishonoured payment that is levied by our financial institution
- Your new or renewed yearly membership will not be confirmed until a successful payment has been processed
- Without limiting our other rights, we may refer any outstanding amounts in relation to your membership to our collections agency for recovery. We can recover from you as a debt due to any costs and expenses that we incur in doing so, in addition to suspending or terminating your membership.
- You agree to an automatic rollover of your zoo membership from year to year unless you choose to opt-out by notifying us by no later than 1.00pm (AEST) on the final day of your current membership period.
- Membership fees may increase from year to year. We will provide you with at least 28 days' written notice of any change in the price of your next year’s membership, and any changes to plan privileges, terms and conditions, prior to the first payment in the new membership period being deducted. [Notice period for confirmation. Also, for consistency, it may be preferable to express the time period in "business days".]
- New paying members cannot be added on to an existing plan. They must enter into their own Annual Membership - pay by the month plan agreement with Zoos Victoria.
2.1.2. Specific conditions for pay-by-the-month plan
- The plan payments will be deducted in 12 instalments, beginning on the day the membership is purchased or renewed (as applicable). Further instalments will be withdrawn on the same date or previous business day of each of the following 11 months. Payment must be via your nominated MasterCard, VISA or Paypal account.
- If payment falls due on a day, which is not a business day in Victoria, the debit will occur on the next business day. In addition, on the instalment day of each month, we will deduct from your nominated account all other amounts that you owe to us.
- If you default on your monthly instalments in any membership period, we do not have to offer you an Annual Membership - pay by the month plan as a payment option in the future. If we choose to offer you this plan, your new or renewed membership will not be confirmed until we receive all amounts that you owe to us.
- Volunteer, Teacher and YATZ memberships and gift memberships are not available on this plan.
2.1.3. Specific conditions for automatic rollover plan
- The plan payment will be deducted in one instalment on the date of joining and then annually on each anniversary of the day you join. Payment must be via your nominated MasterCard, VISA or Paypal account.
- If payment falls due on a day, which is not a business day in Victoria, the debit will occur on the next business day.
3. TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR OTHER ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PLAN
The membership terms and conditions will apply to all programs or plan, unless it is excluded and substituted by specific terms and conditions for the program or plan.
The specific terms and conditions for a program or plan will be specified when joining the program.
3.1. Specific Terms and conditions for Supporter Membership
- A Supporter Membership is a non-access annual membership available to those aged 16 years and above. This type of membership does not entitle the member to enter Zoos for free, including participating interstate zoos.
- A Supporter Membership is active for 12 months from date of purchase. It can be upgraded to a standard Zoo Membership at any stage during that 12 month period, with the price of the supporter membership being credited towards the new membership package.
Zooper Kids Club terms and conditions
- One Zooper Kids Club (ZKC) Pack is redeemable per KZC membership.
- This voucher MUST be presented in person upon arrival at Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary or Werribee Open Range Zoo to redeem your ZKC pack.
- KZC Packs cannot be posted, they must be collected in person.
- ZKC Pack contents may change without notice, however the content will be the same as or greater than the recommended retail price (RRP) at the time of membership purchase.
- KZC Packs may only been redeemed within 12 months of the membership purchase date.
- Lost vouchers cannot be replaced, therefore please keep this voucher in a safe place.
- ZKC Packs are not redeemable for cash.
- ZKC Pack items cannot be swapped or exchanged.
- The RRP of the ZKC Pack is $52.50. This includes an 18cm animal plush toy, bamboo animal tumbler, bamboo animal plate and three Melbourne Zoo Carousel passes.