- Visit our zoos
- What's on
- Fighting extinction
- Get involved
- About us
Education at Melbourne Zoo
About Melbourne Zoo
Melbourne Zoo is a window to the world in the heart of the city. Our education programs connect young people with different species from across the globe. Expert educators will help them build their understanding of different animals, explore real-life issues and think about how to take action for conservation. Discover our exciting interactive exhibits designed especially for children and teenagers.
Our excursion programs are included with your admission price at no extra cost. Book your program now
Before you visit
- Watch the video above with your children or students. You can also download it by visiting Vimeo
- Use our Teaching Resources to give your curriculum a boost
- Visit the Student Hub to do any research and find out more about the animals at Melbourne Zoo
When you arrive
Enter via the Rail Gate Entrance. Ask the organising teacher to go to the Admissions area to sign in and arrangement payment. Use the Members Express Lane for quick service.
Pavilions are available near the Rail Gate Entrance for your children and students to leave bags and/or lunches. Ensure all food is secured in bags or lunchboxes (or our native wildlife may decide to help themselves). Please take your valuables with you.
Check out our online map for mobile devices. You can also collect a printed map. Staff and volunteers are also there to help you find your way around the Zoo.
Melbourne Zoo’s Keeper Talks inspire young learners. They happen throughout the day, and we especially recommend you watch the Seal Show. See what’s on
To ensure that all students have an enjoyable experience at Melbourne Zoo, the following Social Script and Sensory Map have been created to help prepare students for their visit.
Download Sensory Map
Download Social Script - Animals at Melbourne Zoo
Download Social Script - Education Session at Melbourne Zoo
Download Social Script - Excursion at Melbourne Zoo
When booking a visit to Melbourne Zoo, our terms and conditions of entry apply. Please consider the following guidelines:
- Children and students remain the responsibility of the teacher at all times
- Groups are asked to move through the Zoo respectfully and consider animals and members of the public
- Students and adult helpers should understand the needs of the animals and behave accordingly – loud noises and sudden movements can upset the animals. For this reason, ball games and whistles are not permitted
We can’t wait to see you at Melbourne Zoo. Call us anytime between 9am-5pm on (03) 9340 2788.
Book an education program
We will need the following to book your excursion:
- Education program of your choice
- Preferred excursion date
- School name and address
- Name, phone number and email of organising teacher
- Number of students/classes and their year level
Designed to address a range of curriculum outcomes, our education programs guide young people through an integrated learning experience.