A connected community of teenagers building leadership skills, capability and networks to take action for wildlife.
Unfortunately we have made the tough decision to cancel the Youth Leadership Program for 2020. We know this is disappointing but the health and safety of our staff, visitors, animals and the community is our number one priority, and is at the heart of every decision we are making in this unprecedented situation.
Year 9 – 11 students from across the state will take part in a Youth Leadership program that tackles real-world conservation issues. The program helps participants to build tangible, usable skills and grow as a leader with support from Zoos Victoria mentors and industry leaders. They’ll also share experiences and support each other with their learning.
Who is it for?
Help students who have drive and leadership potential to step up and take the lead.
Existing Student Leaders
Give students who are already in leadership positions the chance to improve their skills and impact in actions with a purpose.
Wildlife and Conservation Champions
Perhaps you have a future David Attenborough on your hands: channel their passion into a leadership role.
As well as being part of a unique and impactful program Youth Leaders also receive:
- Zoo membership, allowing unlimited visitation to all three Zoos Victoria properties: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo for one year
- Access to Gen Wild school holiday events especially for teens
- Module workbooks
- A journal to record your experience
- Project Thrive drink bottle and pen set
Links to the Curriculum
- Personal and social
- Ethical understanding
- Critical and creative thinking
- Understanding of sustainability
- Problem solving
- Emotional judgement
2 DAYS DURING TERM 1
- Zoos Victoria welcome and induction
- Building connections with the group
- What is your learning style?
- What are the core values that drive you?
- What is your purpose?
- Why you do what you do and why it is important to you?
- What brings us together as a group?
2 DAYS DURING THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
- Find out:
- What leadership is?
- Types of leadership
- How you lead and see yourself?
- Who the leaders are in your life?
- Meet real life leaders at Zoos Victoria
- Become immersed in important zoo projects
1 DAY DURING TERM 2
- Learn how to use design thinking to solve the novel and complex problems in the world.
Teachers are invited to attend this day
5 DAY INTENSIVE DURING THE SCHOOL HOILDAYS
- Understand a big challenge; hear from experts and become an expert to build your knowledge about marine issues and conservation
- Chose a marine issue to tackle
- Brainstorm creative solutions to the problem
- Prototype your idea to make it visible and understood
- Pitch your idea and walk away with ideas on how to test your prototype
- Please note: You will have all of Term 3 to continue working on your project
- Explore the concepts of well- being and mindfulness and be immersed in a workshop from a leading expert
2 DAYS DURING THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
- Share success and work on any challenges for your marine project
- Discuss how we can use what we’ve learnt in the future of work
- Participate in a Careers Day including the opportunity to meet industry experts
1 AFTERNOON/EVENING DURING TERM 4
- This is a celebration of the learnings that have occurred over the course of the seven months.
- You will showcase your ideas and share your personal journey
Teacher and family members are invited to attend the day
What makes Youth Leadership unique?
Participants leave Youth Leadership with a greater perspective, a deep understanding of their capabilities as leaders and an enriched sense of belonging and purpose in the world around them.
- Imparts leadership skills
- Gives students a voice
- Creates ambassadors for wildlife and conservation
- Offers mentoring and positive role models
- Builds skills for life beyond school
- Explores career pathways
- Work on a project to solve a real-world problem
- Uses STEM knowledge and skills