A connected community of teenagers building leadership skills, capability and networks to take action for wildlife.
Details for the 2022 program will be announced soon. Sign up to the education e-newsletter to be the first to know when applications open.
Year 9-11 students from across the state are invited to take part in Zoos Victoria’s Youth Leadership program. Participants will develop tangible and usable skills while growing as a leader in a group environment. They will learn from Zoos Victoria mentors and industry leaders as well be supported to undertake a wildlife conservation project.
This program is hosted at Melbourne Zoo and includes excursions.
What students will learn
Participants leave Youth Leadership with a greater perspective, a deep understanding of their capabilities as leaders, a sense of purpose and a set of skills and knowledge they can use beyond the program:
- Leadership skills
- STEM knowledge and skills
- Communication skills
- Animal and wildlife conservation experience
- Career pathways
- Mentoring and positive role models
- Project work to solve a real-world problem
Who this program is for
Help students who have drive and leadership potential to step up and take the lead.
Existing Student Leaders
Give students who are already in leadership positions the chance to improve their skills and impact in actions with a purpose.
Wildlife and Conservation Champions
Perhaps you have a future David Attenborough on your hands: channel their passion into a leadership role.
Cost and inclusions
The cost of the program is $1300 and includes:
- All workshops
- Animal experiences/encounters
- Leadership mentoring
- Access to industry experts
- Excursions including transport
- Program materials
- Zoo membership, allowing unlimited visitation to all three Zoos Victoria properties: Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary and Werribee Open Range Zoo for one year
Participants bring their own lunches and snacks.
Links to the Curriculum
- Personal and social
- Ethical understanding
- Critical and creative thinking
- Understanding of sustainability
- Problem solving
- Emotional judgement